Saturday, January 31, 2009

A blast of wintery mix!



What a week this has been.........


I had received a call from a friend of mine last Sunday who tells me we are going to be getting the worst winter storm yet for the Kentuckiana area. We were up in northern Indiana visiting my parents, where they had lots of snow and cold temps, so I'm thinking, surely, it won't be that bad. Well, was I ever wrong.


Let me just say, I was so much more blessed than some, we did at least have water- cold it was but it was water. The news is saying it maybe weeks before some get power restored. I'm very thankful, because the situation could have been so much worse.


Our electricity went out on Tuesday evening, Jan. 27th and didn't come on until Friday evening, Jan. 30th. We stayed at home during this frigid week, but we relived the scene of last fall when Hurricane Ike came through. The concern last fall was of your food in the fridge and freezer going bad, in the winter it is a matter of survival to keep warm. We piled quilts and layers of blankets on. Wayne was able to purchase a generator and that gave us a few lights but it doesn't have power to heat the house. We kept warm with a heating device that hooked up to our propane tank from the grill, but you could only burn it for a few hours. The carbon monoxide is a huge concern with propane so we had to be very careful.

I'm very happy to say, the power is back on but they are warning that another storm maybe headed our direction next week.

1 comment:

LaDonna said...

Sounds like tons of fun! NOT! Those times of power outage in th winter is when I'm most thankful that we heat with a wood stove. I've cooked on it lots of times when the electric was off and the oven and stove wouldn't work. Comes in real handy! Maybe you should consider putting one in downstairs! Glad you're all ok.