Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Alcohol Anyone??

I had to take care of a patient today that had cirrhosis of the liver, liver failure and needed to have a transplant that isn't going to happen due to other issues. This patient has been told he has less than 6 months to live with 4 of those months already gone. I felt empathy, sadness and disgust all at the same time because I knew that this patient's condition was brought on by alcohol abuse. This individual is an alcoholic who has lost all of their material possessions, and familial ties except for a mother who currently has multiple myeloma. It literally broke my heart to see how sick this individual was but how their lifestyle brought on this horrible illness so thus my title. I have never seen a person so juandiced (yellow) in all of my life, even his hair looked yellow; it is a picture that will stay in my mind for a long time. Again I ask, alcohol anyone???????

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Rachel, This is so, so sad. I remember one of my first patients whose abdomen was large because of ascites and whose skin was the color of the sun. It was sad to me then and it still is. Sin is sad.

I posted today about Halloween. I'm really interested in toher Christians comments, are you brave enough? :-)

Anonymous said...

This was really interesting. Mike's uncle is a homeless alcoholic b/c all the chances he was given he took advantage of them & threw it in their faces People got tired of it & kicked him out. Yesterday, Mike's cousin (alcoholic son of his alcoholic uncle) was drunk & tried to jump over a fire & landed in it. He ended up with 2nd & 3rd degree burns. When the hospital found out he had no money, no insurance, he was eventually released only to get it seriously infected & has now been admitted to a hospital that treats people with no insurance. It just makes me wonder what's so great about the booze.
I read this & it makes me sad, but passionate about learning the job even more... Great post!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to leave my name :0 on that, it's Laura. Hope you are well.

Anonymous said...

once you cross your limit any thing will be danger so know yourlimit and then realise it. To know more about the alochol abuse visit our web sites.
-----------------------
waugh
Alcohol abuse affects millions. This site has a lot of useful information.
Alcohol Abuse

Anonymous said...

Drinking is a problem if it causes trouble in your relationships, in school, in social activities, or in how you think and feel.


*********************************

kathrin

Alcohol abuse affects millions. This site has a lot of useful information.

Alcohol Abuse