Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Credit Reports

I try to check our credit reports at least every couple of years because of the influx of identity theft, it should be done yearly but I haven't done it for a couple of years. There was an article in our local newspaper that gave the three credit reporting agencies information. Yes, you are entitled to a free credit report yearly, just takes a few minutes of your time to call and request the reports.

I had finally received all of our info via snail mail (USPS) and was looking over everything yesterday and I found an error. They had Wayne listed as a joint applicant on someone else's student loan, it was someone we didn't even know, fortunately for us this individual has been paying their student loan. If they were to default guess whose SS # is linked to the account, when Sallie Mae was contacted they felt that it was just a typographical error because no other info was linked to this account that belonged to Wayne. We had to submit the credit reports and file a dispute claim with all three credit reporting agenies, I also faxed everything to Sallie Mae. It will take about 30-45 days to get everything settled but I'm glad I was pro-active in pulling the reports this year. I don't think I will be delaying pulling credit reports each year again.

Here is the info to request your credit reports:
  1. EQUIFAX www.equifax.com 1800-685-1111
  2. EXPERIAN www.experian.com 1888-397-3742
  3. TRANSUNION www.transunion.com 1800-888-4213

Just remember you can request your credit reports yearly at no charge, if you are interested in getting your FICA score I believe there is a charge for that.

No comments: