Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Tail of the Dragon





Unusual title! I'm sure some of you out there have heard of the Tail of the Dragon, it is nothing but 11 miles of curvy mountainous blacktop in beautiful TN. This is the trip that my husband along with my brother, Nathan and 6 others left for on Friday morning.

This trip has been talked about, researched out, planned and dreamed about for months. I've watched a portion of the video clips of the ride and had to turn away because my stomach started getting queasy, I've seen the statistics that are posted on the website of all the deaths that take place there and my insides turned to jelly. I've been a nervous Nellie about this ride, finally I had to tell everyone not to talk about it in front of me and I didn't want to discuss the ride. Great coping skills????

The journey to TN turned out to be about 12 hours (should have been 6) due to my brother having difficulties with his bike. Those guys babied and worked on Nathan's bike but they stood by him refusing to leave him behind. The motto was if Nathan had to stay behind they all were. Pretty admirable I thought. When they arrived to TN, they checked into their campsite and what a chilly night it was but they survived.

Saturday morning they met up with 7 other guys the leader being my friend LaDonna's husband, Joe. Joe has proved to be a great resource for the Tail of the Dragon and the local area, he had already ridden the Dragon a few times. The group of 15 guys met for breakfast and they hit the Tail of the Dragon and ALL survived without incident. I had to say a prayer of thanksgiving because I was worried about the trip. The guys have all had a great time of fellowship and fun. LaDonna has taken alot of pictures I'm told so stay posted for photos. LaDonna and her friend hosted a cookout for all the guys on Saturday after the ride. Thanks LaDonna and your friend for all your kindness.






4 comments:

Telesa's Tales said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Telesa's Tales said...

you have go to be kidding me....not bike trouble again!! I feel so sorry for the rest of the guys who had to be delayed. I am relieved that they made it through the "Tail" safely though. I still can't imagine 12 hrs. just to get there......how crazy. I wonderend, when his bike didn't want to start too easy that morning. I haven't heard from him the whole time, so I'm glad for the updates!! Have a great rest of the weekend. It's beautiful here!!

LaDonna said...

I sent you some more pictures late last night from Kate...my camera died on Sunday after church when we were trying to get the group shot. I'm certain that you were nervous, and after meeting Wayne, I now know why!!! He's a maniac!:) We had a great time, but I say next time the ladies need to be involved a little more! Are you game???

Rachel said...

Ladonna,
I would say definately the ladies need to be involved the next go around, except I won't ride the Tail of the Dragon but I would ride on non-curvy roads. Thanks for all the pictures, I've forwarded them on.