Friday, June 27, 2008

Storm Damage

Last night on my way home from work, I stopped by to pick Caleb up from a friend's house and the clouds were rolling in. Sure enough we had just gotten into the car and it started pouring rain, visability was difficult but I snail-paced my way through (since I'm terrified now to drive in the rain due to my wreck). I almost pulled off a couple of times but kept on going, sure enough we had to wait for a tree to be cleared off the road before we could go on. When I pulled into our country subdivision I noticed my neighbors on their front porches (it kinda felt like a welcoming committee), I waved and they waved then I noticed the damage, almost every house had something torn off, or a couple of trees split in half. Needless to say, by the time I'm cresting the hill to go down to our house, I remarked to Caleb, hum wonder what kind of damage we have. I pulled in the driveway and noticed that Wayne's pole barn had two trees that had split over top of the barn, the trees had pulled the entire back of the roof line of the barn and one side of the roof line. I turned the corner to park in the garage and there was a huge tree that had crashed through our deck and onto the roof. Thank goodness it didn't come through the roof or window. I opened the door in the kitchen that opens onto the deck and there was that tree, nothing like leaves greeting you. Outside my kitchen window was a mass of green leaves. I'm bummed about my tomato plants that were growing so well, they were destroyed.

I'm thankful that no one was hurt, and the damage was all exterior. Wayne came home from work early to a real mess and spent his day chopping wood and cutting down trees. Caleb has been such a real trooper, he has helped his dad out all day. Wayne was letting him run a chain saw, which makes me a nervous wreck. I plead, he is only 10 but my husband says it is character building, oh, the joys of parenting. Tonight, I've also done my fair share of hauling and stacking wood and pulling branches, it is muscle building for me.

I'll post pictures later after I get them uploaded.

No comments: