Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Scrapes & Cuts

I had to work this past weekend, actually did 3 days in a row (Sat, Sun, Mon) which is exhausting 12-13 hour days on a critical care floor but that means I'm done for a few days. Sunday night as I was driving home and was about 10 minutes from home my cell phone rang and my husband was on the other end asking me what should they do. Alex who is a friend of the family had just wrecked on the dirt bike back in our woods. Alex apparently was riding and crested a hill (going pretty fast and without a helmet I might add) and laid down the bike the foot pedal chewed up his leg. Since I was only 10 minutes from home I told Wayne to wrap it up and I would look at it as soon as I got home. By this time Alex is not feeling so well and is getting really lightheaded. I walked in the house and Alex is all propped up on the couch looking mighty pale, his leg had a three inch gash that cut through the subcutaneous tissue, through the fascia and all the way down to the shiny muscle but at least it did not go through the muscle which was a blessing. His girlfriend got some tylenol out of the cabinet and gave it to him before we left and we headed to the local ER, thinking they will take him back right away but no we ended up waiting 2 1/2 hours before he got back to the trauma room. Needless to say Alex ended up being in the ER for 4 hours and got 12 stitches and a very sore, sore leg. Poor Alex is headed out to catch a flight today for a much anticipated vacation and will be navigating airports with an injured leg. His girlfriend will be keeping us updated on his progress. Needless to say I was pretty exhausted for Monday's events at the hospital but the day progressed quickly and busy. Now I get to go school shopping for Caleb as he starts school on Monday. The joys of being a mom, our jobs are never done.

4 comments:

Tamra said...

Your job is the kind you can't "leave at the office". Espcially, I'm sure, since you have a boy - they seem to be a little more accident prone than girls. Good luck in getting some rest!

Aytha said...

should have called your brother who is an EMT-A

Unknown said...

Can you believe guys??? Riding without a helmet? Makes you kind of want to bop 'em in the nose!!! I can't understand why schools are starting earlier and earlier. Around here, some of the public schools started TODAY! I'm so glad I can homeschool, then we can start anytime we want to! Which is AFTER camp in Muncie!!!! Have fun shopping.

Lauriem76 said...

Well, at first when I saw the part about the helmet I thought he was going to bust his head open, but then reading about his leg...it sounded really painful. Hopefully he can still enjoy his vacation.