Friday, September 28, 2007

What a wreck

What a day yesterday was. I was on my way to work driving in dark, cloudy, rainy weather yesterday morning when I had a wreck, not a small one but a major wreck. It happened at 6:30am, I was in the left hand of traffic of a 3 lane interstate, saw the truck ahead of me start to hydroplane, I started slowing down because I knew there was a car in the middle lane beside me, I hit the water and hydroplaned myself. My car spun out of control, shot across the 3 lane interstate, hit the concrete barrier on the right, I took my hands off the steering wheel and was screaming and holding my head while my car was spinning a 360, then it shot across the interstate again and hit the other concrete barrier and came to rest facing oncoming interstate traffic. I was so scared and my chest was hurting badly. Two other vehicles were involved, there was a truck behind me that also hydroplaned and hit the concrete barrier, a car that also got hit during this whole process and had damage to all of the right side of his car, but it was drivable and he was ok. The guy behind me that also hit the concrete barrier rushed up to my car to check on me and started freaking out because he thought my car was on fire but it was just smoke from both airbags popping out. I was shaking so bad and my chest was hurting terribly that all I could do was sit there and cry. I had glass all over me from the windshield shattering but no cuts, no broken bones but lots of chest trauma. They were concerned about my heart because of all the chest pain & trauma but the CT of the chest didn't show any damage. All I can say is that God kept his hand on my car & me protecting me from what could have been a very different situation. I'm so thankful for God's protection. I did get to take my first ambulance ride but the neck collar and the strapping me down on the board was a terrible experience (those EMS guys wouldn't hear to making the straps a little less tight, but I did have to ask). I did manage to call Wayne from the scene, he was 2 hours away but needless to say he made it to the hospital in record time to be with me. I have a huge bruise starting at my left shoulder all across my body in a diagonal pattern going to my right hip. My seatbelt did it's job but I'm so very sore. The insurance company already settled up this morning and I've been able to purchase another vehicle. God's blessings are amazing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We thank God for your protection. We have a wonderful GOD, and should never take a given day for granted, God's mercy endureth forever. Amen

Love You,

Mother

Anonymous said...

I heard about your accident, first thru Amy, then thru Myrna & was finally able to check your blog. It sounds like a horrible experience, but I'm so thankful God was watching out for you. You must have had the angels on overtime that day. :) Laura F.

LaDonna said...

I'm so glad that God protected you!!! I sympathize with you about that stupid board and neck collar. I had a wreck when I was pregnant with Justin and I was in more pain from being on that board and having to PEE!!! So glad you're ok. What kind of car did you get???

Rachel said...

Ladonna,
I ended up getting a 2004 Toyota Camry that only had 13K miles on it, it was a one owner, smoke free vehicle. God was helping us because the car was purchased below Kelly blue book value.