Monday, August 27, 2007

School is in Full Force

Well, school is definately in full swing at our house. Caleb will be in school for one month this week and it already seems like it has been longer. He has already turned in a science project with another one due in 3 weeks that is supposed to display a model of the planets in his own creative way. He has a book report that has to be in the form of a diorama (scene made in a shoebox). He also has chosen an early culture to study and has to prepare a story board about this culture. I've decided my next investment should be in poster board supplies. I am so thankful Caleb has the opportunity to go to a Christian school but I'm amazed at the amount of projects that 5th grade has brought.
The 5th grade has brought some fun stuff that Caleb truly enjoys. He plays the trumpet in band at school and they will be participating in the local fall festival parade in just a couple of weeks. It has brought the opportunity to participate in the fall play in which Caleb will be playing a sheriff in "How the West was Dunn". The month of August has started fall baseball up although it has been so hot, practice had to be cancelled twice last week. As Caleb gets older it is exciting to see how his personality and interests develop, but it also is sad to watch my son start dispensing with his toys that he always played with, his music taste are changing to more grown up sounds. It seems each week bring something new that he wants to get rid because he feels it is too childish for him.
I've been reading a book called "Celebrations of Faith" and the author talks about the fleeting moments (kairos) with your children and how to make the most of each moment. My heart has been convicted as I read it because I realize how quickly life is changing and my little man is turning into a young man. My prayer has been for the Lord to help me with the kairos of life that these few moments will last a lifetime in my son's heart and mind.

3 comments:

LaDonna said...

You are SO right, those moments are fleeting! I actually took a picture of my 17 year old playing with Legos one day, just because it had been so long and he had moved on to other "toys!" Cherish every moment that you are given!

Judith Atnip said...

Rachel,
How are you? I haven't seen you for ages! I hope you remember me. We used to attend the Muncie Pilgrim Church when your family did. I would love to hear from you.
Judith Atnip
tjatnip@wyoming.com

Rachel said...

Judith,
I do remember you. Do you still attend the Pilgrim church in Muncie? I grew up in that church, attended 10 of 12 years of school at the Academy so needless to say I have many fond memories. Are you still singing? I'm so glad you stopped in my by page, stay in touch.
Rachel