Saturday, August 04, 2007

Simple Pleasures


You know you are in redneck country when you enjoy going to demolition derby's, truck and tractor pulls but I truly enjoy the simple pleasures that it brings. This week has been our county fair and we have enjoyed it immensly. It started with Wayne and Joe running in the demolition derby, watching these ugly, beaten up redneck cars being hit from every side, feeling sorry for those whose radiator or engine would tear up. Caleb went to the fair with his papa on Thursday night as Wayne and I were both working and Caleb got to see the big cars wrecking and tearing up. Caleb got to have a front row seat because his papa is one of the firefighters working the derby so pure enjoyment for him. Last night we went again to the fair to watch the tractor and truck pulls, they had the two wheel drive, four wheel drive and construction class of trucks. There were row back cages on the tractors, modified long nose tractors (that is what I call them because only the back of the tractor remains the same but the front is all customized with a big ole' long snout), we stayed at that silly pull until after midnight but again it is all simple pleasures. I will never forget the first time I went to a tractor pull, Wayne just thought I had to go and I thought I'd absolutely hate it but yours truly found it very interesting and I keep going back for more.
Don't get me wrong I truly enjoy the finer things in life too, fine arts, excellent eating establishments, beautiful clothes but there is something about the simple pleasure of being at the county fair watching cars crash, trucks and tractors lose their drive trains and front axle's that makes me enjoy a little bit of redneck country.

No comments: