Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Stormy Weather

We had quite the stormy weather yesterday evening in Southern Indiana and surrounding counties. I had just gotten off work when my phone rang and I was told there were 75 mph winds headed in the direction that I was going. I was 30 minutes away from home and am now terrified to drive in the rain, let alone winds that were going so fast. I said a quick prayer that sounded a little something like this, "Lord, you know that I'm scared to death and I just want to get home, please keep me safe and calm". I drove for about 20 minutes with some wind, a few sprinkles but once I hit the country road that we live off of, the storm decided to hit. It started pouring sheets of rain and I was on a curvy and hilly road that is surrounded by trees on both sides. My prayer turned to one of panic because the visibility was so bad, I almost pulled off numerous times but fear and determination kept me moving. I was only 2 miles away from home when I encountered the first tree but it was only covering half of the road so I could avoid hitting it. Small branches were scattered everywhere but I kept plugging on, I just wanted to get home. When I was only yards away from the road that we live on I encountered another tree, I stopped, evaluated then decided to plow on through, the tree wasn't that big. I managed to drag a portion of a tree branch into my garage. My husband says my good sense was overtaken by the panic that I was feeling. I'm thankful for God's protection but rain storms now scare me to death. There are a couple of small trees that are down in our yard but no other damage. I'm reminded of the scripture in 2 Timothy 1:7 that says, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity , but He has given us a spirit of power and of love, and of a calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control."

1 comment:

Laura ☃ said...

That storm was horrible listening to it pelt down from the inside, I can't imagine DRIVING through it. I'm so glad God kept you safe on your way home & gave you perserverance to keep going. It is so hard going through things that remind us of our wrecks.